Ruby birthstone July
July gemstone ruby next to carnelian
- Did you know that this beautiful red stone is family of the sapphire? Ruby only exists in red, but in different shades of red from light to dark
- Ruby belongs to the zodiac sign Aries, Leo and Scorpio
- This beautiful red gemstone is the most precious of all color gemstones, even more expensive than the blue sapphire
- Red is the color of passionate love but also of aggression
- This stone is often associated with power, desire, health wisdom and success in love. It is therefore not surprising that this stone was and is popular among kings and queens.
- In the ancient times it was believed that the ruby had the power of life because it is the color of our blood
- In Sanskrit, the ruby is also called Ratnaraj: the king of the gems
- Legends and ruby. This red stone is frequently mentioned and one of the stories is that the people of India believed that the owner of a ruby was able to live in peace with his enemies. Or what to think of the legend that in Burma warriors put rubies in their bodies to be invisible during a battle.
- Perhaps the most famous ruby is the Liberty ruby bell. It is the largest ruby ever found (8,500 crt). This ruby was carved in a bell or bell shape and surrounded by diamonds. Sadly, this beauty was stolen in Wilmington in 2011 and has never been found back.
- The ruby that turned out to be a spinel. The Black Prince's ruby balas is a red spinel that was thought to be a ruby. This cabochon cut spinel can be found in the British state crown just above the world famous Cullinan II diamond. A mistake at the time, we are talking about the 14th century where this stone first appeared, was not surprising as the gemstone identification was not nearly as advanced as it is today. And a red stone in this color was quickly mistaken for a ruby.
Looking for a piece of jewelry with ruby? Then view the Kiliaan Jewelry collection.